Code of ethics
AOTOS regards it to be the duty of a teacher of singing to:
- put the welfare of a student above their own ambition
- treat every student with respect, regardless of age or ability, and extend this respect to a student’s confidences
- operate in accordance with the guidance given in the AOTOS Child protection policy and Code of practice
- maintain honesty and realism in assessing a student’s potential and in giving career advice
- search constantly for further enlightenment with a view to improving their own work and have an open-minded approach to the methods and opinions of colleagues
- work unselfishly towards sharing knowledge with colleagues, especially with younger and less experienced teachers
- respect a student’s freedom to change teacher without rancour or recrimination
- behave with courtesy and discretion towards other members of the profession.
AOTOS members-only Facebook group
When you join AOTOS, you will be sent an invitation to join this private discussion group for members. (You won't see it on Facebook, as it is a secret group, with nothing visible to non-members.)
Don't want to be visible on Facebook? This article by our Webmaster, Ian Anderson Gray, about how to stay private on Facebook.
Facebook code of conduct
The official AOTOS members-only Facebook group was set up to connect members and share ideas – only members see what’s posted there.
To encourage lively discussion and the free sharing of ideas, posts and comments must be in line with the AOTOS code of ethics: members should behave with courtesy and discretion towards other members of the profession.
Members are free to post:
- questions about anything to do with singing teaching – including repertoire, science, philosophy, psychology, personal experience and so on (and fun posts too!)
- any job opportunities that seem relevant to our membership
- events that benefit members, are not self-promotion and do not clash with AOTOS events (see aotos.org.uk/events)
Self-promotional events may be advertised on our once per month What's On Weekend (WOW) dates but only if they do not clash or fall within two days either side of an AOTOS event. Please write #WOW to identify these posts*
Disclaimer: The content and quality of any Member event cannot be endorsed by AOTOS as an organisation. AOTOS members attend these events at their own discretion.
*During Covid-19 emergency, we are relaxing our rules and allowing members to advertise their events and courses on Tuesdays (Tell me on a Tuesday #TMOAT).
NB. The same disclaimer applies as above.
If you are not sure, contact an admin before posting or commenting.
If you are not happy about a post or comment, please report it. AOTOS will hide or delete posts or comments that contravene this code, are clearly off-topic, or would disrupt or derail debate, and may remove from the group any member persistently contravening this code.
For an email invitation to join the group, email email@example.com quoting your membership number and the email you use to log in to Facebook. When you accept the invitation, you agree to abide by this code of conduct.